Busy Police Weekend & Local Crime Stats

After seeing a news item that highlighted a "busy weekend" for local police, I ended up doing some research into local crime statistics. I'm not sure why it was busier than usual recently. I began looking into the statistics to see if I could answer that question. Turns out the statistics didn't help me there... but they did inspire an interest in the statistics themselves.


To try and find stats on daily incidents, I looked into the crime statistics published on their website. I looked at the two most recent monthly stats (Oct and Sep) as well as the most recent year end summary (2021) and didn't find any way to see a summary of incidents per day.


Having looked for this information, I ended up seeing what I would think is the obvious "dashboard overview" part of their crime statistics... the last column of the year end summary report which compares the current year to the average of the past five years. It highlights better than average in yellow and worse than average in red... so you can quickly see areas of dramatic change. As I looked through this column, I found myself wanting to sort it to make comparison easier, so I created a spreadsheet from it so I could do that.


"Commodification of Sex Activity" (aka. Prostitution) was 80% better than the five year average. Here's the full list of incidents by type that were better than the average.


"Criminal Harassment" (aka. Stalking) was 70% worse than the five year average. Here's the full list of incidents by type that were worse than the average.


I find it interesting that these two are at the top of each list and are both associated with sexuality. I'm sure there are lots of other interesting things that could be pointed out when looking at the other items in the list.




=REFERENCES===


Saskatoon man arrested after throwing a lawn mower at victim, police say | CTV News

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskatoon-man-arrested-after-throwing-a-lawn-mower-at-victim-police-say-1.6171602


Forms & Publications

https://saskatoonpolice.ca/downloads/#crime_stats_reports


October Monthend New.xlsx

https://saskatoonpolice.ca/pdf/October_2022_Stats.pdf


Sept_Month_End 2022.xlsx

https://saskatoonpolice.ca/pdf/Sept_Month_End_2022_Stats.pdf


Year_End_Summary_2021.pdf

https://saskatoonpolice.ca/pdf/annual_reports/Year_End_Summary_2021.pdf


Saskatoon Police Service - Crime Mapping

https://map.saskatoonpolice.ca


News Releases

https://saskatoonpolice.ca/news


=======


=EXTRAS===


Saskatoon Subway restaurant cuts hours due to safety concerns | CTV News

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskatoon-subway-restaurant-cuts-hours-due-to-safety-concerns-1.6173867


=======




Comments