Morality vs Nature
I've got "Never Cry Wolf" on in the background while doing morning chores and the following scene caught my attention...
- Setting: The two of them are talking while watching the wolves that Tyler is studying.
- Mike : To me a wolf means money. It's a way of making a living. One wolf pelt is about $350 dollars. And I've got to feed my family; my children. Buy a snowmobile; food, rifle, bullets whatever.
- Tyler : You wouldn't ah... you wouldn't kill these wolves?
- Mike : These ones... no. No I don't think so. Besides you would get mad if I killed one of them... and your gun is bigger than mine.
- Tyler : Yeah.
- Mike : I'd like to though.
- Source: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086005/characters/nm0429786?ref_=tt_cl_c_4
In my experience, this scene conveys the nature of humanity that we don't like to accept and therefore causes us a great amount of stress.
It suggests that people are not inherently moral. I would say that the belief that we are inherently moral is the root of the concept of despair and depression. If we are able to accept that humans are subject to the brutal laws of nature like everything else, then it becomes way less stressful to witness people doing horrible things. This suggest that the concept of morality does not exist in nature... that it is a relative thing (ie. Your gun is bigger than mine).
Comments
Post a Comment