Life is Temporary

A patient (Leonard) awakens from a 30 year coma because his doctor finds a new drug that relieves his condition...

Leonard: "My name is Leonard Lowe. It has been explained to me that I have been away for quite some time. I'm back."

Dr.Sayer: "What's it like to be back?"

Leonard: "I thought it was a dream at first."

Dr.Sayer: "When did you know it wasn't a dream?"

Leonard: "When I spoke and you understood me."

The effects of the test drug turn out to be temporary, and so after living "normally" for a while, Leonard begins to revert back to his original comatose state. As this is happening, the doctor asks...

Dr.Sayer: "How kind is it to give life, only to take it away again?"

Eleanor (nurse): "It's given and taken away from all of us."

This is the truth. All life is the same as this. It begins when we slowly start recognizing we're alive and not in a dream because things react to us... people react to us. Life is about interaction. Eventually, this process reverses and we begin to lose the ability to interact. Life is a temporary experience of interaction and relationship with things outside of ourselves.

- Awakenings ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099077/ )


Comments