Highway to Heaven - The Movie

In my view, the "Highway to Heaven" TV series did something I haven't seen in any other TV series. It delivered its own movie within it... and did so "silently".

There are lots of TV series that are inspired by a movie, and many movies that are inspired by a TV series... but in this case, the series was used to deliver its movie version within in a way so that the audience doesn't experience them as separate things.

If I watch only the episodes that comprise the movie, I am getting the entire story of the series told in a single 120 minute story in 3 acts. It's more efficiently and effectively delivered because the central character being helped in the movie storyline is the Angel himself, Jonathon... whereas in every other episode it focuses on a temporary guest character. The fact that these three episodes didn't come first in the sequence of the series means that viewers get familiar with the Jonathon character before then experiencing his own personal storyline. I also think it's brilliant that the first episode in this trilogy happened on its own first... creating a foundation for the follow up which was the second and third acts delivered back to back two seasons later... something that the audience was then prepared for with the standalone first act in season 2.

To summarize, I think the creators of this series understood that in order for people to learn effectively, they need it to be delivered in a certain way... in small digestible chunks that are connected together as pieces of a larger puzzle and which can be effectively summarized to form a simpler more absolute understanding of the subject.

Comments